Have you ever been in a hurry to go out but can’t seem to find that particular T-shirt or those pair of shoes? How did you feel about the situation?
A messy, disorganized closet can bring about so much stress and even waste your time. An ideal closet should be one that makes life easy for you. No matter the type of closet you may have in your home, it should be a place where you can find your clothes, shoes, bags and other personal accessories, arranged in an orderly manner. As humans, we always fantasize about the idea of having an organized closet but in reality, achieving it is much more difficult than it seems. However, no logic explains why your closet is always in a mess, it’s just that we always find it difficult to keep things in order. If you have problems finding your shoes, clothes, bags, hats, etc., in your closet, then something needs to change. Cleaning your closet can be very tiring, but in the end, you’ll always get an amazing result. With the helpful tips below, you will find it easy to organize your messy closet.
- Empty Your Closet: To get your closet back in shape, the first thing you need to do is to empty it. Take everything – shoes, clothes, hangers, purse, hats, belts – and drop them on the floor or table. Doing this will give you a chance to solve the problem of disorganization. When you remove everything, you can now decide how things should be arranged effectively in the closet.
Also, you will get the opportunity to try all your clothes or shoes to see which ones would stay or be discarded.
- Discard Unwanted Items: This is going to be the most difficult step because it involves decision making. For instance, you might want to hold on to certain clothes because they were so expensive when you bought them or because they remind you of a particular event in your life.
However, you need to ask yourself if the clothes or shoes still fit you or if you would still love to wear them. A rule of thumb is that you need to discard anything you’ve not worn in a year. This is because, if you’ve not worn them in such a long time, then you may never wear them again. It’s a tough call to make but it’s very necessary. You can choose to either donate, discard or sell unwanted items.
- Create Your Desired Closet Space: You can get creative with your closet. Try to see what you can do to create more space. If your closet has built-in shelving or multiple hanging rods, you can use them to your advantage. Also, if the number of shelves is too much and you don’t even have enough space for hanging, then you can take some of them out and use wall hooks instead. With the hooks on the wall, you can now take your scarves, hats, bags, and other accessories off the floor. This will make your closet look organized and make it easy for you to pick up any of those accessories when you need to use them. Also, you can invest in hangers that are of the same color and material. Apart from its basic function of creating more space, the hangers will also add color and beauty to your closet, thereby making it look organized.
- Organize Your Closet: After you must have discarded the things you don’t need, you’ll be left with the best items. You must now arrange them in a way that will be appealing and lovely. This will make them last longer and also make you feel better about your closet. You can organize them in sections so that they are easier to find. For instance, T-shirt, sweaters, hats, blouses, pants, should all be in different sections entirely. Also, you should endeavor to hang things the right way. Don’t just throw anything haphazardly into the closet or else, with time it’ll go back the messy state it used to be in. Getting a shoe rack will you more space and ensure there is enough room in your closet for other things. If you organize your closet very well, it’ll make you feel good.
- Keep Your Favourite Items Close: Make sure you keep your favorite clothes, shoes or accessories very close. You will easily access them without much hassle if you’re in a hurry. It is advisable to place the least used items on the top of the shelf while the most used should stay somewhere low for easy reach. If you do this, it will reduce the chances of you searching for anything in your closet and your closet will never be in a mess.
- Maintain Your Closet: After you’ve successfully organized your closet, you need to ensure it stays that way no matter what. To do this effectively, you may need to discard old habits and develop new ones. For instance, if you used to haphazardly drop clothes into your closet after removing them, then you should start taking your time to always put them back on the hangers. To make your new habits consistent, you can always reward yourself with something nice when you do the right thing. This will make you enjoy the process and achieve your aim faster. Furthermore, you should clean your closet as the seasons change in a year, discarding items that you no longer need. If you don’t clean your closet, you may store so many things in it, eventually forget you have some of them and end up buying them again. That would be the wrong way to spend. You can avoid this by regularly cleaning and maintaining your closet.
Now your closet is cleaner and organized than before. It may not look as great or as perfect as you want but certainly, it will get better as you keep making efforts to create a beautiful abode.